6.18.2011

How I Found Medical Transcription

I haven't written in awhile, and I'd like to take a step back to discuss how I got into medical transcription.


Out of high school, I wanted to go into nursing.  I had a sister who passed away at 8 years old from complication of her eighth open heart surgery due to congenital heart disease.  I wanted to pay tribute to her by helping sick children.  I wanted to do this at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, Illinois, which was where she was born.  While I loved and was truly interested in the medical terminology part, I just didn't see myself having the patience or bedside manner being 18 years old. With this in mind I moved on. Then, life got in the way.  I ended up landing some great executive assistant jobs as I had a love of computers. 


Fast forward 13 years.  I was pregnant with my son, and I couldn't imagine spending every day in an office while my son spent more time in daycare and/or with babysitters than with me.  It was just something I couldn't have happen (personal preference), so I searched for telecommuting jobs to no avail.  These jobs were just emerging and hard to find.  


In my research, I came across the magic words (for me) "medical transcription" -- doctors dictate about a patient's visit, and there is a typist who records what is said which is then placed in the patient's chart.  Medical transcription seemed like an unknown entity 13 years ago.  There was no advertising, no job listings in the paper and seemed as though it could quite possibly be a scam as well.  Every time the words medical transcription came up so did the words "scam."  Could one really work from home, be in the medical world AND make money at it? I then came across a company Transam where you pay them to do transcription and they "train you."  I was leery about this and instead continued on my quest.  I knew that working meant being paid, not having to pay to work.  Thankfully, my instincts (and common sense) didn't fail me. What I realized was that I could combine my love for the medical field AND computers.  Alas, it was a perfect fit!  I checked local colleges but couldn't see myself sitting in a classroom.  I needed something more conducive to my busy life with a 2-year-old son.


The big advocate for medical transcriptionists was AAMT (American Association for Medical Transcription) although they have since changed their name to The Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI).  What amazed me was that there was distance learning, online courses being offered, and I could learn this field in the comfort of my home (no cadavers involved) and then work from home.  This opened up my world.  Everything was online. Medical transcription companies are online and offer online testing for employment.  Amazing!  This was why I found no job listings in the paper, etc. 


AHDI had a listing of approved schools wherein I found that Career Step offered an online training course.  It was a self-paced course, so I knew I would get out only as much as I put into it.  After much research, I finally took the plunge.  I LOVED it!  The course was very interactive and didn't bore me one bit (a big prerequisite for me).  It was challenging as well, which is what I liked the most.  Career Step also offered a forum where there was constant with others as being out in cyberspace learning can sometimes be daunting.  There were two aspects of the course, an objective portion where you learn the terminology and style and then they throw you into actual transcribing. There were almost a thousand reports in the course.  In under a year, I took and passed my final with honors, had two job offers the first week and accepted one of those jobs.  


I couldn't be happier with my choice to go into the medical transcription field.  Being a medical transcriptionist has taught me to be flexible and teachable at all times as things are always changing in this field.  As well, I have learned that I'm a line of defense ensuring the patient's record is accurate.  That aspect is very important to me.  Almost 4 years later, I now also do quality assurance and edit reports typed by other transcriptionists.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't learn something new.  Medical transcription is never boring and it fits me to a "T." 






http://justmytypetranscription.com

No comments: