4.24.2011

Just My Type Transcription was born

My willingness to go off on my own in the world of medical transcription is in part due to the ridiculous wages for transcriptionists and even more so QA personnel.  It's frustrating to have a great MT who is more than willing to take his/her time, do the research, not focus on production as much as quality to be paid less than minimum wage.  We do need to pay the bills, some are single parents who can't hold a job outside the home due to a child's illness, or the ludicrous amount of school days off - institute day, conference day, blow your nose day.

Being a QA for an MTSO, I have seen some of the poorest quality reports generated from a renown (in their own minds) school who is all about the Benjamins. I am appalled by this. Someone did not do the research when they heard/typed 'celiac screw' and KEPT that in the report. Rookies make mistakes, yes, but I have also seen 'seasoned' MTs whose output is horrid, terrifying even. I personally have no idea how or why and MTSO would want to keep them. Again, low wages. They can't afford NOT to keep them. Sad but true.

This leads me to why I went off on my own. I believe everything happens for a reason. I believe I took this job with the MTSO to further my education in the 'real world or transcription.' Of course, I didn't see this at the time. The good, the bad, and the ugly. I actually love this MTSO. I have learned a great deal from the 100+ doctors I have on the account I type for. I most definitely have a clear view of the company I want run and hopefully that will sustain me.

Just My Type Transcription

No comments: